Tomato Basil Soup with Parmesan Crisps
It’s All good!
Warm up with this delicious tomato basil soup! This soup contains a healthy dose of vitamins A and C, calcium, and protein, which makes it a good nutritious dinner choice for the family. Add a whole grain roll or slice of bread to round out the meal.
- 4 cups diced, canned tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 6 Tbsp. fresh, chopped basil (or 4 Tbsp. basil paste)
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 oz sour cream (about 2 ½ Tbsp.)
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Salt to taste
- For the parmesan crisps: 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato juice to a medium-sized pot and bring them to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Remove the pot from the stove and either transfer the contents to a blender and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the pot.
- Once the tomatoes and juice are pureed, return them to the pot, return the pot to the stove, and stir in the basil, skim milk, parmesan cheese, sour cream, and pepper. Taste the soup and add salt as needed.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and portion the parmesan cheese into tablespoon-sized piles at least two inches apart. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is crispy.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the crisps cool for five minutes. Remove the crisps from the pan and use them to garnish the soup.