New Year, New Mommy
After having kids, every part of your body seems to head south, whether it's fine lines, wrinkles, stretch marks, or age spots. We sometimes have fantasies of tweaking something on our bodies or doing more invasive procedures such as tummy tucks or facelifts.
For those who are considering this, we want to talk about key dos and don'ts of cosmetic surgery, how to find the right doctor, and review some of the trendiest procedures for 2020.
Cosmetic Procedures Dos and Dont’s
- Eat right and lose excess weight before surgery, if possible
- Have some resources in place to help take care of yourself, your family, and your pets.
- Make a list of medications and check with your doctor on when or if you need to stop taking any of them.
- Take your pain medications as prescribed.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Research. Be sure to look at reviews and pictures of the doctor's work, especially the procedures that you want to have done.
- Try to have realistic expectations.
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Wait 6-12 months before you begin judging your final results.
- Do not smoke or vape before surgery. Nicotine can slow down healing.
- Don’t overdo it! Rest and enjoy your time off to recover.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions or call your doctor regarding your concerns. Speak up!
- Take advice, but don’t automatically listen to naysayers. Plastic surgery has come so far in recent years and a lot of people have attached a stigma to plastic surgery.
- Do not make cost your number one deciding factor. We can’t stress this enough.
- Nitpick and obsess. You can ruin what could be a positive experience.
- So now that we have shared what to do and what not to do before and after surgery, let’s talk about what’s trending.
Fat eliminating non-invasive treatments are super hot right now. One of these is CoolSculpting, which is an FDA-approved device that uses controlled cooling to permanently freeze fat cells that are resistant to diet and exercise. Sculpsure, another in the same field, is a quick 20-minute fat dissolving procedure that shocks the body with intense heat and then cools down.
Skin tightening treatments are also hot right now. Exilis is one of these treatments, and it uses radio frequency and ultrasound to tighten and build collagen.
Some procedures that are more invasive but also on the trending list include: The BBL (aka Brazilian Butt Lift) is a game changer for some body types. The fat transfer procedure uses fat that is extracted from your own body by liposuction and then injected back into your buttocks and hip area to create a fuller, more shapely appearance. Fat transfer can also be done to increase breast size, which makes a more natural alternative to getting breast implants.
When it comes to the facial area, there are also several procedures available. There is the Mini Facelift which focuses on the lower cheeks, jowls, and jawline. In this procedure, which is less invasive than a full facelift, a surgeon will remove excess skin and “Titan” the skin. The incision is easily concealed with this procedure.
The Non-Surgical Nose Job uses injections of safe and effective filler, and it alters the shape of the nose. This procedure is great for people who have "bumps” on their nose.
We hope that if you are considering any type of procedure in the new year that you do your research and use these important tips. Ultimately, the decision is up to you and your doctor.
Social media is bringing us closer than ever; it is creating more personal relationships between doctors and patients, and you can almost get a feel for a doctor’s style just by online research alone.
If a cosmetic procedure is going to improve your overall happiness, we say go for it! Do what makes you happy, but never forget that true beauty will always lie on the inside.
Share your journey with us, and be sure to follow us on Facebook @JamiandKatrina for more on lifestyle and beauty in the 225.