DIY Jell-O Play Dough
Everybody loves Play-Doh, but what if you made your own? This could be such a fun activity to do with the children on a lazy weekend afternoon, and it will give them something new to play with that they made themselves!
What you need:
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. cream of tartar
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 3-ounce pack of Jell-O
- Mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until it thickens. It will look like a ball of dough and be difficult to stir when it's ready.
- Place the dough on a floured cutting board to cool.
- Knead, adding flour until it isn't sticky anymore (about 1/2 cup).
- You can add more food coloring to make the colors really pop!
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It should keep for at least a week. If it starts to get sticky, just add flour.
This recipe is a great opportunity to teach the kids cooking skills, like measuring! Let them help throughout the process from picking the color Jell-O to kneading the dough. Every family member can even make their own color!